Practice Decision Request
Please place your practice question in writing using the criteria listed below. Forward your request to: Executive Director, Nevada State Board of Nursing, 5011 Meadowood Mall #300, Reno, NV 89502. Be sure to attach copies of nursing journal articles from your search. Your request will be placed on the next available agenda for the Nursing Practice Advisory Committee meeting. You are welcome and encouraged to participate in the committee process.
- State the practice question. Example: “Is it within the scope of practice for an (LPN, RN, APRN, CRNA, EMS-RN) to do . . .”
- How is this in the best interest of the consumer (the recipient of the nursing service)?
- Describe the current trends, standards (community, state, and national), nursing research, data and rationale that support this request.
- Describe the impact on the nurse. Include how the scope of practice will be expanded and whether the practice would be considered independent, interdependent, or dependent.
- Describe your view of the overall economic and manpower impact this practice would have on the State of Nevada. Include the impact on nurses, consumers, and the health care industry.
- Propose the standardized procedure of this practice.
- Describe and analyze the risks, benefits and alternatives.
- Describe the education components and/or requirements for initial and on-going competency.
- Describe the relationship of this practice to current and previous practice decisions, statutes, regulations, and advisory opinions.
- Include your name, place of employment and a phone number where you can be reached.
Approved by Nursing Practice Advisory Committee 01/31/01